This year marked my thirty-second revolution around the sun, and the one thing I’ve really noticed over the last couple of years is just how much time, effort, and money I have to throw at skincare.
When I was in my twenties, I didn’t really put much thought into my skincare routine. I used to sling a bottle of Garnier scrub in my shopping trolley and call it good. I’d dab synthetic cucumber-scented toner over my eyelids and across my cheeks. I’d rub some Olay into my cheeks and be done with it. I wore inexpensive makeup that I often didn’t take off quite as well as I could have done come the end of the day. It’s fair to say I put my skin through the mill a bit.
But it was fine. It bounced back. I had youth on my side. And I had more money to spend on high heels and having a good time.
Now I’m in my thirties there is no way I’d be so lax. I’ve become acutely aware that these days my skin is slightly less plump. Dries out quicker. Looks less youthful. I’m seeing wrinkles around my eyes that were categorically not there five years ago, and I’m not a huge fan of all this inevitability to be honest. These days I try to lock the moisture in with facial oils. I use a different moisturiser at night than during the day. These days, I spend more time researching products I want to put on my skin, and it’s thanking me for it.
So in the spirit of there being a point to this post, here’s what I’m using to keep my skin looking as fresh as possible. On the whole it’s Lush skincare products, but I’m a huge fan of Rose Otto facial oil by Balance Me as well.
Clockwise from left:
- Breath of Fresh Air toner water. This stuff has actual sea water in it, so spritzing it on your face feels super fresh.
- Smuggler’s Soul. This is a fine scrub and I use it twice to three times per week to exfoliate – generally when I’m showering. The scrubby texture comes from bamboo, so you don’t need to worry about microbeads killing off marine life. I really rate this, as it doesn’t leave your skin feeling tight and it smells great. In fact, I also use it to exfoliate after a wax. I’m *told* this is limited edition, so if you see it, grab it!
- 9-5. My daily cleanser of choice. How I love this product. It’s milky and moisturising. You can smooth it on and wash it off with water, or if you’re pushed for time, you can use a cotton wool pad. Plus, it takes makeup off really well, and anything that can get off my Stila eyeliner is a win in my book.
- Celestial. I use a dab of this mainly as a day cream – because I tend to use the facial oil at night. It’s vanillery and sweet smelling and light, and sits well under foundation.
- My only non Lush product – Rose Otto facial oil by Balance Me. No beating around the bush here, at £32/30ml this stuff is not cheap – and certainly not the most inexpensive facial oil out there. But you only need a couple of drops so it lasts ages – and I eek it out by limiting it to night use only. It’s incredibly moisturising and the rose oil is calming, so again, great for relaxing when you get into bed. In short, I’m a huge fan of facial oils. Plus, they are great to use on long haul flights as air conditioning on a plane is not a friend to the skin!
What skincare products do you really rate?